hangars, hang-ups, and heat stroke!

20 10 2010

Well I’m back. It has been a little while, I apologize. It’s just difficult to make myself sit down when it’s super hot and just sitting makes me sweat profusely. Anyway let me move onto the updates.

I never finished that last blog. I have it written down on paper but haven’t finished putting it online with my blackberry. I will have to do that soon!

So first a shout out to the Delaware crew for the amazing package I got two weeks ago! It was full of tupperware which in turn were full of goodies! Canned chicken breast, tuna, some spam just like poppop used to love, candy, oreos, dryer sheets to freshen up the place, a shirt, and much much more. I think I gained 5 pounds just after two days of eating my way through that marvelous surprise! But on a more serious note regarding the tupperware…I used the tupperware to bring some candy to my friends at the restaurant. When they saw the tipperware it was like an American getting the first look at the newest iPhone. Their eyes lit up, their smiles widened, and they were fighting for a chance to hold it. Then one of the girls started talking about how great it would be to have something like that. She said she could use on long trips to pack herself food instead of being hungry on the bus. She mentioned how she could keep her food longer and not worry about having to waste food and how she could make herself a nice sauce and put a small fish in there and bring it to work with her so she wouldn’t have to worry about eating while at work. Something so simple and silly to use has so much use here and there is so much more appreciation. Needless to say, I did not make it home with my tupperware. I ended up giving one to Delphine and one to sanata. I still have a lot (thanks family for sending so many!) but I just felt so selfish for having so many and not caring as much about them.
I forgot to mention my trip in to Bobo to get the package! Well silly me decided I was going to bike all the way into Bobo from my site which is like 60-65 km…never having biker more than maybe 10 at one time lol. I made it about half way and at 35 km I told my host brother we needed to stop and hop on the next truck that is going to Bobo. I was dead! When we got into Bobo I had to jump off the truck and when I did my knees buckeled and I face planted into the dry red earth that takes the place of roads here. That was quite embarrassing and made me look even more dirty than I had already become due to biking in a dusty country such as Burkina. The day was a chaotic mess of biking from and to the peace corps bureau and the post office then back again then to the truck stop. I was so exhausted when I got home but a box of reese’s pieces really helped me feel better 🙂

Mostly everything else is the same here. I have language (either self taught or tutor) in the morning, I go around the village talking to people and seeing what’s on their minds, eat, work out, eat some more, read my kindle, and then pass out. Pretty good life. I really am getting used to living in and belonging in my village. I recently went to ouaga for a short weekend trip and the whole time I was wanting to go back to Banzon. Its nice having friends and “family” here and knowing people and knowing where to get everthing you need and not worrying about being taken advantage of or hassled like always happens in Ouaga. But I did really enjoy the company of some of my closest peace corps friends, some great food cooked by yours truly and Kristin chantry AKA “Trouble” as we like to call her, and of course catching up on Glee, Dexter, Modern family and Cougar Town!

This week has been more work focused. Trying to figure out the right contacts at the rice cooperative who actually know what’s going on with the ADF funds that are coming in because apparently the president of the coop has no clue? And trying to get a copy of the interiour rules and by-laws of my host association as required by my etude de milieu. Also I’m getting things ready for the new volunteers who are coming to my site for demyst next week! This includes getting activities ready, cleaning my humble abode, and getting my new hangar built! That has been going on all day and will finish probably by Friday. We have to wait for the cement to dry and then wait for the seko to be finished (think like basket weave but with bigger plants and its more durable). Overall I think it will cost me around $22.50 US. Not too shabby huh?

As always I have some hang ups mainly language. Maybe I have unreal expectations but I just expected me to be much closer to fluent in french by now and its really irritation when I still don’t know what words people are saying or I stumble through explaining my thoughts. And then there us dioula and I thought by now I could hold a simple conversation, which I kind of can, but it’s seriously like pulling teeth out. It will be fine I’m sure I’m just super impatient…thanks for that gene mom! Haha JK I think that’s a Gallagher jean not just Linda ;P

Well I think that’s all for now. Maybe if I keep these a little shorter I won’t dread typing them on my blackberry so much haha!

Love you all and miss you more than you can imagine.

Ala ka su heere!




One response

20 10 2010
Robert M Mangam

Hey Keith, sounds like you need a Moped. Time is really flying; now you are hosting some newbies instead of being hosted. Hope the hangar works out well for you. You need to stock up on some local foods for them. I know you’re not going to give up all those supplies from home…lol…lol. Love you my buddy. Stay healthy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: